- What is Clonfolic
- Why is Clonfolic important?
- How can you increase your daily intake of folic acid?
- Is everyone’s baby at risk?
- The importance of looking after yourself before and during pregnancy
- Where can I buy Clonfolic?
What is Clonfolic? Clonfolic contains folic acid which is a member of the vitamin B group. Like all vitamins, it cannot be made by the body, so it needs to be taken in a supplement and/or food form.
Why is Clonfolic important? Taking folic acid daily can help reduce the risk of having a baby with Spina Bifida by up to 70%. Spina Bifida is a neural tube defect (NTD). The neural tube forms the unborn baby’s spine. The unborn baby’s spine is open when it first forms, but it normally closes around the 29th day following conception. With spina bifida the backbone has not closed completely and this leads to varying degrees of malformation, leg paralyses and bladder and bowel control problems. Sadly many women would not be aware they are pregnant by day 29, hence the importance of taking folic acid fourteen weeks prior to becoming pregnant. This helps ensure that there is sufficient folic acid build up in the body. It is also important to continue taking folic acid for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. It is estimated that over 100 babies are born each year with spina bifida. Of these, 95% are born to mothers who have not previously given birth to an NTD baby – therefore all woman of child bearing age who are sexually active are at risk. Taking folic acid daily can prevent up to 70% of first time neural tube defects.
How can you increase your daily intake of folic acid? You can increase your daily intake of folic acid by eating more foods that are rich in folic acid as follows:
- Fortified breads and cereals
- Vegetables – broccoli, sprouts and green beans
- Fruit – oranges and grapefruit
Is everyone’s baby at risk? Yes. Spina Bifida can develop:
- Whatever your age
- Whether you are a first time mother or not
- Even if spina bifida does not run in your family
- If you are in the best of health
- There is a higher risk if you already have given birth to a baby with this condition or if a close family member has given birth to a child with spina bifida.
The importance of looking after yourself before and during pregnancy
- Start taking folic acid (Clonfolic) at least 14 weeks prior to trying to conceive.
- Health, diet and moderate exercise is important
- Take alcohol, caffeine and fatty foods in moderation
- Try to relax and stay stress free
- Enjoy your recreation time
- The most important thing is not to panic; it normally takes time to conceive
- Visit your medical professional to find out all about pregnancy planning.
Where can I buy Clonfolic?
Clonfolic is only available from your local pharmacy. It comes in a handy one and three month pack of 0.4mg tablets, the recommended daily dosage. It has been specially designed to provide precisely the required amount of folic acid for women who may become pregnant.
Always read the label.
Important Clonfolic is gluten free
- Click here for a handy calendar for mother to be – Tips for a healthy pregnancy chart
- Click here to hear our recent radio advertisement
For further information on spina bifida and The Irish Association of Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus (IASBAH) please go to www.iasbah.ie.